As an employer you have an obligation to operate a safe workplace. Before an injury or illness occurs at your workplace, you must:

  • Obtain workers’ compensation insurance or qualify to become self-insured;
  • When hiring a new employee, provide a workers’ compensation pamphlet explaining the employee’s rights and responsibilities; and
  • Post the “STATE OF CALIFORNIA – DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS Division of Workers’ Compensation Notice to Employees–Injuries Caused by Work” poster in a place where all employees can see it.

What should I do if one of my employees is hurt on the job?


First, tell your employees to report any injury to their supervisor right away. If the injury or illness is something that developed over time, encourage employees to report it as soon as they learn or believe it was caused by their job.

Give the employee a workers’ comp claim form within one working day of learning about the injury or illness. Once the employee completes a claim form, a workers’ compensation case is open. This starts the process for finding the benefits your employee may qualify for under California law.

Within one day of receiving a claim, you must authorize up to $10,000 in appropriate medical treatment. You should also provide transitional work (light duty) whenever appropriate.

What benefits might my employee receive?

Workers’ comp insurance provides five basic benefits:

  1. Medical care: you as the employer are responsible for paying for medical care to help your employee recover from an injury or illness caused by work.
  2. Temporary disability benefits: Payments if the worker loses wages because his injury prevents him from doing his usual job while recovering
  3. Permanent disability benefits: Payments if the employee doesn’t recover completely
  4. Supplemental job displacement benefits(if his date of injury is in 2004 or later): Vouchers to help pay for retraining or skill enhancement if he doesn’t recover completely and doesn’t return to work for you
  5. Death benefits: Payments to the employee’s spouse, children or other dependents if he dies from a job injury or illness.

As an employer you must have workers’ compensation coverage. Failing to have it is a criminal offense, a misdemeanor punishable by either a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or both. Additionally, the state issues penalties of up to $100,000 against illegally uninsured employers.

How do I find the right workers comp insurance carrier for my business?


You want an insurance company that will help you protect your business. Peter Green has built an excellent insurance agency on understanding what his policy holders need. We take the time to understand your concerns and risks to find the insurance protection that’s right for you. As an independent agency, we’re not bound to a specific insurance company – we have the freedom and we’ll do the legwork to find the right policy for your company.

Click here to request a quote, or call 888-725-7776 to speak with Peter Green.